Friday, July 25, 2008

(yet another) sad animal story

(I wrote this a long time ago, but censored it because aren't you all tired of animals getting beaten up? Oh well, now is the time to post all my old thoughts. Don't read this, Julie.)

On the BBC they’re chronicling some American football player who’s gotten caught with his hand fiddling with illegal dog fighting circles. It’s a big deal apparently, with animal rights activists enraged and pet-loving Americans horrified. How many sad stories fail to strike a sentimental chord with me?

Here, I am watching the a roly poly silky smooth puppy’s fate play out to a certain but slow death. No one wants the mutt that can’t be eaten, ridden or milked. Adults put children in charge of it- take it away- our house is full enough- it’s a girl and we don’t want it producing more worthless animals…

The puppy cries under the sting of the kids homemade riding crops and the kids scream at the sight of its baby teeth. They, as terrified children, are more dangerous to this gray haired big eyed pup than any number of gun-bearing big boned Western men.

Later I see Haby’s little boy with a bird tied to a string. It’s like a deranged, defeated balloon that’s from a freaky fair. The bird struggles to fly some, is dragged in the dirt mostly. I fire out protests but my futile objections are predictable and tiresome. Pulaar is as useless as English when it comes to animal rights here.

I see the boy/bird team a few days later. The bird is dead and bloated but the boy isn’t tired yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home