Monday, January 21, 2008

super trippers

The first time I visited the Kaedi market I was so overwhelmed I failed to buy anything. People everywhere, human trash and animal waste in piles between tiny stalls and looming stores. My family, on the other hand, basically owned the filthy and bustling heart of my regional capital. They returned the Bonjour!s of kids I'd begun to ignore long ago. They bought funny presents and pointed the videocamera at all the action.

During the fam's Crash Course in Mauritania I can't recall a single complaint. Despite the first "toilet" they encountered in a Nouakchott alley. Despite a messy goat slaughtering and the inability to communicate with villagers.

Instead, they pounced on my one English speaking Garly friend with strings of questions I'd stopped answering. They pounded grain despite laughter at their technique. By the end, though we were all tired of the ol' four little ducklings in a strange land routine, I was nothing but thankful for the visit. Also impressed, if not surprised, by the superstar showing these Smith women put on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home