Wednesday, October 31, 2007

...time flies (part two)


8:15-11:30 This is my "official" work time. I chill at the dispensary with my health ladies, dishing out wheat soy mush to the identified malnourished kids in the village. I hover over them like a mother bird, keeping their chirping to a minimum and their little mugs full. I talk shop with Faty and Mariam about upcoming health presentations or gripe about the village's cash contribution to the latrines (1/3 is collected but my impatient palm awaits the other 20,000UM).
11:30-12:30 Errand time. I drop torn clothes off at my tailors, I sit among the market ladies, getting talked into buying fried dough balls or soap. I go and say hello to friends I haven't seen for awhile and unsuccessfully track down the health committee president (he's always out and about with his abundant sheep herd, mashallah). All the while my skin is pricking with dis ease from the sun, I am stepping onto all sorts of small thorns (the plant that breeds these tiny "death stars" are brought by the rain) and generally suffering from the elements.
12:30-1:30 Sigh. Back at home and out of the sun. I either lay in a puddle of sweat in my room reading a book (most recently but do not recommend: Moby Dick) or I "help with lunch" by fiddling with the radio, sticking my hands in the rice or write in my journal while keeping Isata company. (I'm a very good lunch helper.)
1:30-2:30 Bucket bath time. Alhumdillilah. I am completely alone in my little bathroom space. Not required to talk or smile or hurry. I am simply cooling off in the 110 degree weather with a little well water. When a breeze comes and my skin develops goosebumps, I tell myself that it is 110 degrees and I am not cold. There is no way I am cold. (But I am.)

to be continued

1 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger Todd said...

Jacob and Dan definitely did not like the sour milk that you talk about. However, despite my lactose intolerance, I love it. Are the fried balls of dough like thick round donuts? I think from the Senegal River down to southern senegal could all be one country... so many similarities of culture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home