Monday, February 11, 2008

once a day

While not an intentional part of my routine, I can count on certain things occurring every day in Garly. Here’s a taste:

-At least five times a tiny yet brutal “death star” will stick in my foot and I will pluck it out while saying “I’m dying” in Pulaar. (Death stars are little plant pods all over the ground- they are as small as a seed but serve no obvious purpose.)
-I will summarize my day’s events on a homemade calendar that I’ve created out of Sharpie markers and cardboard.
-The Moor boutique owner will remind me that we’re not friends anymore, since I stopped teaching him English. He ends our friendly chat in careful English, “Thank you very much.”
-I will grit my teeth at a baby crying in my house and fail at trying to think nice thoughts about babies.
- I will say “I don’t know” or “I don’t understand” about something concerning Pulaar.
-I will think about the food I ate in Paris.
-I will lie about somewhere I have to be in order to leave a house where I have run out of conversation topic.
-I will accurately guess the temperature and feel smug as I check the thermometer hanging on my clothesline.
-I will laugh about something no one else thinks is funny. I will say, “That’s sad, funny, good, scary…” (just insert any adjective) when no one else agrees. This shows despite my best efforts to integrate, my viewpoint refuses to conform.

2 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Laura found you via google.
I am an RPCV 93-95 (water san)from the Gorgol (Lexaiba)and a Cornell grad. Am trying to find someone who lives near Lexaiba who might be able to help me contact my "family" from those days. I can send pics and desciptions. Peace Corps was one of the best things I ever did, and you are really in for an amazing experience (although tough too) the best time is about 2/3 of the way through. Best of luck,
Jennifer

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Perfumes said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home