Thursday, June 19, 2008

i'll never be this way again

“You get a strange feeling when you’re about to leave a place…you’ll not only miss the people you love but you’ll miss the person you are now at this time and this place, because you’ll never be this way ever again.” -Reading Lolita in Tehran

The way I am here is a collage of old Laura demeanor and new Mauritanian behaviors. I pondered the things I do and the way I am now that I will never do or be again…

-I feel triumphant when following radio theatre story lines. (And I listen to radio theatre in the first place!)
-I am outside about 100% of the time. I am indoors only to change clothes. Eating, sleeping, bathing, working, socializing all takes place in the shade of trees, under the moon or in the scorching sun.
-My ears perk at new verbs and useful adjectives, and my Pulaar dictionary is crumbling from infinite references.
-I often have a vague sense that I have done or said something culturally incorrect or inappropriate. The underlying doubt that I am fully understanding life is omnipresent.
-I have an intense awareness of the physical world. The moon’s phases, hours of the sun rise/set, wind direction, temperatures and the likelihood of rain. Never again will I have to notice, let alone care about such things.
-I deal with a restricting inability to pre schedule meetings or work days more than a day in advance. I am constantly engaged in a toggling of programs- shifting pre-planned events around weddings, funerals and “personal” business that is public in a village that does not differentiate the two.
-“Site guilt” pangs that unexpectedly hit after one too many days in Kaedi. This is a common PCV occurrence after idle days away from host families and integration opportunities. Our consciences tug us back to our true purpose of being in Mauritania- live with Mauritanians.
-Silent slow hours for writing, reading and self-reflection
-I buy impossibly small amounts of products. Ten cents of sugar, three bananas for a buck, a gulp of juice for a penny.
-I treat the internet like a rare tryst into paradise. I stay up all night scorching my eyes dry, overwhelmed by all the information, entertainment and endless e-mails.

2 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger Colleen said...

this post is very interesting. the quote is actually a little chilling. i mean, it gives me chills. because its basically saying that from one day to the next, we are changing and we will never go back to that person we were last week. its exciting because you are living, but it also a bit intimidating because you realize that your experiences and the world around you does have the power to change you.

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your website made me feel very nostalgic for my 9 years in Velingara. Would any of your Pulaar speaking friends like free copies of a paper in Pulaar? See http://soon.org.uk/fulani/free-papers.php

We mail them free of charge if specifically requested.

Thanks, Jane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home