Friday, June 20, 2008

my friend howwa

Howwa describes everything as exciting. At first I was flattered because she called me that. I think she’s wonderful and when she said “ada jirwi” I thought she reciprocated the feeling. My stomach flipped with the anticipation of a new best friend. Then I heard her say a television show (Spanish soap opera dubbed badly in French watched on a black and white screen) was exciting. And then the Burt’s Bees chapstick I gave her was described as exciting and I saw where I stood.

Sometimes I meet people I like so much I immediately want the privilege of being in their tightest circle of friends. Avoid small talk and jump over the gathering of personal histories. I want more of them. To know their thoughts, predict their actions and go on vacation with them to some remote island so I can have them all to myself.

Take this irrational impatience with my inhibited self of a second language and we have quite a situation on our hands. Comfortable and flowing conversation is hard enough to come by between two stranger Americans, about the same age and with similar backgrounds. Eliminate all similarities including race, religion, age, language and education and then how does one befriend another?

I guess you resort to giving Howwa your Burt’s Bees honey chapstick and hope she hears your sentiment.

1 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Colleen said...

i think this feeling you have is because you know how great you are and you know that if these people could see that, they would WANT you in that closest knit group of friends. you know? and in the US, i think someone could see this greatness in you easily, over there, i see the challenge posed by the language barrier. i relate to this about the language thing. in england, they always said that everything was "brilliant." when i was first there, i heard someone say that they thought i was brilliant. and then when i made rice krispie treats, that was brilliant. and when they made me watch some distasteful adult film, that was also termed "brilliant." and i didnt feel all that brilliant anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home