Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Garly

Garly (Written 8-15-06)

The village where I will be spending the next two years of my life is gnarly without an n. That was the first good sign. The second was that we got to go off-roading for a few hours just to get to the tiny village. The final great sign was that it rained the night I arrived. Unlike in the states, when it rains here it is a really good sign. Rain on a wedding day for example, means that Allah supports the marriage. It rained a lot my whole visit, so the whole town said I brought the rain.

Even though I hardly speak their language, I felt that the town welcomed me with open arms. My host family has a bunch of cows and a dog that the children harass. I will be living in a mud hut without running water or electricity. But I do get my very own hole in the ground for my showers and other business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home