Friday, September 08, 2006

Not Bored Yet?

--How much rain do you get in the rainy season and do they have anything like umbrellas? Or do people just get wet?

I have no idea about how much rain, and I would be shocked if anyone actually measured it. However, I do think people's reaction to the rain is fascinating. For a group of people that spend their whole lives being hot and dry, I would think they would appreciate a little standing-in-the-rain-action. Not the case. As soon as it looks like it's going to rain, people move quicker than they do at any other time, bringing everything indoors. People will sprint just to get out of the (incredibly refreshing) rain. My host family told me the rain was bad for my head, when I was enjoying the drop in temperature and the wetness, so I don't know.

--What is the temperature there at this time of year?

During the rainy season I'd say it doesn't drop below 85 EVER...it's hard to say an average but high 90s for sure. The hot season (oh god I am already bracing myself) I think it's a steady 100 and something.



--If the youngest girl does all the housework and shopping, what do other people do?

Great question, mom. My host father drinks about 21 casses (cups) of tea a day. That is 7 sets of 3 rounds. He has other members of the family doing everything for me, including making the tea he drinks. Young men go to the fields during the rainy season, but just sit around (literally, they simply sit and talk, repeat the greetings a few times, and drink tea) for the other seasons. The women generally do housework all day. Laundry takes hours and hours of scrubbing. I helped prepare lunch the other day and it took two hours to clean, peel, cut and cook carrots.

--How do they earn money or is bartering more common?

Common jobs include: fishing, agriculture, tie-dying for women, tailoring, teaching...oh and stuff with Islam. Money is definitely the goal here. Bartering takes place only in the sense that you never pay the asking price. I am getting quite stubborn with my shopping- I take a no-nonsense, I'm not rich just because I'm white type attitude.


--Do they grow their own food or buy it all at the market?

A few families have gardens for tea leaves and small veggies, but most buy food at the market. Even people that are farmers focus mainly on one type of food, so the market is a bustling place. Because no one has refrigerators, women have to go shopping for food three times a day, and they buy only the ingredients necessary for the next meal. Being a woman here is in a word: hardwork. (Or is that two words? hard work?)

Continued Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home