Sunday, November 05, 2006

It's Like Swimming


My first two months at site were like learning to swim.

At first... I was simply gasping for air. Focusing on basic survival like eating and sleeping. Dealing with constant attention was exhausting and thinking everyone was looking at me was actually reality.

Then...I was able to tread water. Everything was still difficult, having to grasp some inner strength to leave my room and speak spotty Pulaar. Going to the market zapped my energy and memorizing names was a task

Now...I still don't know hardly any names, and it doesn't help that everyone has the same name! They are just referred to as "Little Fatimata, Old Fatimata" etc. It doesn't take all my energy to visit friends anymore, and so I think I am able to touch my tip toes to the ground.

Later... hopefully I will be able to stand on solid enough ground that I will be able to really look around at who all I'm swimming with, and what are the problems with this pool? I'm still too self-absorbed with my attempts at integrating to really get into working, but I'm looking forward to trying to give something back to this community that has been so generous.

1 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like this metaphor--it's very clear. I should be leaving for a post in a French speaking country in Africa in September, so it's really great to read about your experiences!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home