Friday, December 29, 2006

Pulaar is Funny

I get a kick out of this language every day.

The greetings are extensive- here's an example:
How are you?
Fine, how's your fatigue?
Fine, how's your work?
How are you with the heat/cold?
How is your family doing? Does your house still exist?
Did you wake up this morning? Did your legs wake up? Your kids?
Just fine, thank Allah
Peace only, thank Allah

The use of the word "death" is quite comical. If a child does something wrong, a parent will threaten them that they are going to die a "bad death." If a child falls down, everyone around him/her will state "you died" as calmly and blandly as one would say "I brushed my teeth."

There is only one word for "if" and "when" so anything concerning the future feels like it's hanging by a thread. When making plans, one says "If tomorrow comes..." or "If I wake up..." and this always sends me into a panic until I say in my head "When! Not if, Laura. When!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home