Sunday, June 10, 2007

World Map Shennanigans


Us PCVs often joke about what our resumes should look like versus what they will look like. We all know how to incorporate action verbs and impressive sounding accomplishments into the paper versions of ourselves, but more normal summaries don't sound quite so good.

For example, this recently completed world map will allow me to brag about the impromptu geography lessons, creative outlet, and general community-building opportunity that I provided. However, what really happened was that paint got dripped on everyone/thing, and most of the people who helped me did not know where Africa was, or that there was a lot of water surrounding the land of the world.

The contrast in amounts of knowledge about the world was astounding for a village of only 1,500 people. Some men were able to read my labels and point out to me where many countries were, such as Brazil and Italy. Other people thought America and France were both connected to Mauritania.

I see lopsided education in my daily math classes as well. I have students who do not recognize the number four and are unable to translate the numbers they have memorized in French to their ecquivalent in Pulaar. At the same time, I review with adolescent girls the rules for fractions, and remind them how to do the long division they learned last year. Half the time I am thinking Mashallah (thank god) and the other half I'm thinking what is going wrong with the schooling here?

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Julie said...

The map looks awesome - so accurate and colorful! My only question is why certain country names are written in white versus black. The white ones are USA and Mauritania (makes sense) but why add Iran and Mongolia? Kindred spirits??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home