Friday, December 29, 2006

Wish you were here...

...When I see the kid who wears the infant-sized snowsuit walking around the village. With the light yellow hood up like an eskimo, and the puffy legs and sleeves reaching mid-calf and to the elbow, with the child's bony brown hands and feet sticking out...it's so lonely laughing out loud alone.

...When we have the same lunch for the 100th day in a row. Yellow rice, deep fried fish, with the rare vegetable warrants an eye-rolling, but no one understand the gesture or the meaning behind it.

...When I took a bite of pizza for the first time in six months- last night- and it felt so much like home it took my breath away. And then I looked at the women in veils at the next table over, and the man in the turban asking for money, and I wish someone had been there to help ease the transition.

...When it's 3:00am and the roosters are crowing, the dogs are barking, the donkeys are making whatever hideous noise it is that they make- and I can't sleep and I'm reading by candlelight and I would love to hear how it's going, being asleep in America.

3 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Colleen said...

i love these posts. it's funny sometimes when i get on the computer i get this overwhelming surge to find every method possible to connect with you...which is what i am doing now. i went on facebook and looked at your new pics, and now i am looking at all of your posts. i hope you had a really nice christmas celebration with friends. i will be missing you tomorrow (new years eve) and remembering the time that you and naima came to visit and we played board games with my friends...i think i will be doing more of the same this year. my kind of new year's eve celebration. i miss you tons and am thinking about you all the time! hope you enjoy the tee shirt. sent with lots of love...
cols
i think this is really profound, what you said about where you are right now:
"In a nutshell, I am at a crossroads. My job is shifting from 'integrate' to 'do something great.'"
In a few months (maybe when you are back in the states) i will remind you that you said this, and it will be interesting to see how your perspective has changed. thats the cool thing about your life right now, is that your perspective on things is constantly changing. kind of exciting really.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Michelle + Greer said...

La- I cried so hard when I read this.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Kelly Drake said...

I love reading all about all of the wonderful and funny things that you are doing over there. I think that it is just awesome and sometimes I catch myself thinking, wow...she's really doing something that very few people will ever experience.

Know though that you are missed here in the states and that any time you are lonley or missing home that you have a GREAT BIG famliy here that loves you and is sending you well wishes and prayers.

Love You,

Kelly

PS~ I, like Michelle, cried when I read this post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home