Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Land of Plenty

America is pretty much the beautiful and plentiful land I remembered it to be. I had forgotten one thing though: the overwhelming amount of choices.

Grocery stores, for example. The fruit section is humongous and split between organic and regular. Once you've decided environmentally-conscious or not, the type of fruit options is endless. Melons, citrusy stuff, crunchy types, pre-sliced, dried, packaged, free-floating. Fruit madness. The apples section on its own hosts about six different kinds. I have no idea how I ever chose anything before Mauritania, but I am incapable of it now- asking for guidance from the people unfortunate enough to accompany me to the store.

Dental hygiene products overwhelm me with the flavors and sizes and promises of whitening abilities or tartar prevention. Jeans shopping is a nightmare with limitless cuts and lengths and colors and shapes.

Coffee shops are insane. Everything from size, amount of sweetener (and type), level of caffeine, flavor shots, whipped cream or bald, frozen or hot, fatty or not- how do Americans order when the selection is so diverse and delicious?



Man. I'm ready to return to a land in which the choice for breakfast is bread or bread and the only refreshing and available drink is water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home