Sunday, January 28, 2007

40 Days of Fun: En Afrique

For those of you in the dark as to the wonders of 40 Days of Fun (40FUN), let me fill you in. For many days, yes, 40, my friends and I made a conscious effort to put a little extra fun into our lives. The two times of 40FUN occurred the final legs of my freshman and senior years at Denison. Being the founder, director, etc. of 40FUN, I have decided to have my own solo go at the invented, extended holiday.

I have 40 days left in Mauritania, until I come home for the wedding. (After which, there is a staggering number of months, let alone days, until the end of my service, but we'll cross that bridge later).

Perhaps not entirely realistic, here are my current guidelines: (Feel free to try these at home)

1. Go on a rice-free diet
2. Pet as many goats, sheep and donkeys as I want. Social stigma, schmocial schtigma.
3. Eat cookies every day (Okay, so there aren't cookies in Garly, but I really would like to do this- it would be fun, and would remind me of vacations in Michigan when Dad would say we could eat as many cookies as we wanted...for breakfast)
4. Refrain from threatening kids with sticks. It's not nice OR fun to make small children run away screaming. (Although, it is kinda funny...but I'll stop)

and lastly,
5. Master the art of carrying water on my head without hands, increase the number of bubbles at the top of the tea cass when I'm pouring, and learn some better Pulaar insults.

I'm such a good Peace Corps volunteer- see how culture-integrated-focused my last "rule" is? All right, I'm off to have fun.

3 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Nicolas said...

Hello Laura,

I am Nicolas Levillain. I am a French man and I went to Garly there are 2 years ago. Sorry, my english is not perfect, but I hope that you will understand me!

What is your job in Garly? Who is your employer? How many days lasts your mission in this village?

I went in Garly with an association called "Yakare", which means in Puular "Hope, future, solidarity". We worked abour agriculture, especially the vegetables.

We are trying to collect money to buy a pomp. It's to bring water for the vegetables that grows up near the river.
We are collecting pens, hefts and books for the school.

I set up with Moussa Sy and others people (Gedda, president of a cooperative for example) a way to make natural fertilizer (compost heaps).

I frequently send letters to Moussa, but he does not answer. Could you ask him if he receives my letters? Thank you.

Could you tell me if the Garliers continue to make compost heaps, and could you tell me what they think about it?

Could you ask the jeweler if he received my letter?
I have thousands questions to ask you...

I hope you will be able to read this message! I give you my E-mail:
nicolas.levillain@laposte.net
I hope you 'll give me some news of you and of the village! Do you want to communicate with me by e-mail?

Could you please greet Moussa, Amadou, Gedda, Mahmoud, Galadio (and so on!) and all the village for me?

I wish you a nice mission in Garly.

Nicolas Levillain

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger John said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger John said...

Sounds like a kind of reverse Lent! I know that's not what you intended but it sounds like a good idea.

Instead of depriving yourself for 40 days, you concentrate on doing things that make you happy for 40 days.

Thank you for the posts - I enjoy reading your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home