Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Desensitized or just a hardened person?

Why I think I am not just "integrated" but something a little worse:

Today I walked around a young girl, squatted and sobbing in the middle of the dusty road. Not batting an eye, I didn't realize until later that I was so heartless to essentially not notice this tiny suffering person

After watching a goat slaughtering, and witnessing the skin being carefully peeled away, each organ slowly removed, the entire body dismantled...I uttered only the word, "cool."

I have adopted the short, commanding way of speech, characteristic of the Pulaar culture. Often I will demand of others to: give it to me, sit down, lend me that, that's not true, you don't know, you can't, etc. (In my defense, I would throw in nicer words if they existed)

Hopefully, I will be back in touch with the caring self that left America, when I return for Julie's grand ball in March. Sixty something short days, according to a reliable source.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home