Friday, June 01, 2007

my zen retreat

In one month I will have been in Mauritania for a year. I have been reflecting on these past eleven months and realizing I have achieved what is impossible in the states: truly getting away from it all. I am not distracted by television, pop culture, traffic, computers, magazines, graphic news stories, petty social dramas, beer binging... In two words I am pretty much on a personal Zen retreat.

I almost forget the challenges of my early life in Garly. I love that I see at the most a car a day. It's great that an entire village knows my name and that I drink fresh milk in the market and swap friendship bracelets with women of all ages. Even lugging water from the depths of the well has become a quiet kind of fun.

The only thing this retreat is missing right now is a bald monk showing me the path of peace, or whatever it is they show. So if anyone is interested in being my spiritual teacher, come on over. The hot season prevents any activity between 11am and 5pm, so bring some books.

1 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am a bald, more or less, monk, more or less, living in Indiana. Bloomington, actually. I don't know if I would be much of a teacher, but a fellow seeker I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home